The Act on Managing the Risks Caused by Alien Species 1709/2015 and the Government Decree on Invasive Alien Species of National Concern 1725/2015 entered into force on 1 January 2016.
- Press release 7 December 2015
- The purpose of the Act and its provisions are explained in the Government's proposal. See for example the detailed justification of the proposal, p. 35 – regeringens proposition 82/2015. (in Swedish and Finnish)
- The English translations of the Act and Decree were published on 6 June 2016.
Legislation concerning invasive alien species has been enacted and enforced in certain sectors in Finland.
Provisions on alien species are included, among others, in the Hunting Act (615/1993), the Fishing Act (286/1982), the Animal Disease Act (441/2013) and, with regard to plant pest eradication, in the Act on Protecting Plant Health (702/2003, 2 §, 4 §, 6 §, 7 §, 10 §, 11 §, 12 §), the Plant Propagation Material Act, the Seedlings Act (1205/1994) and the Seed Trade Act (728/2000).
The provisions of the Forest Act (1093/1996), the Forest Insect and Fungi Damage Prevention Act (263/1991) and the Act on Trade in Forest Reproductive Material (241/2002) may also be applied to alien species.
In addition to the above, the following may be considered indirectly to address alien species: the Act on Preventing Wild Oat (185/2002), the Animal Welfare Act (247/1996), the Decree of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry on the animal disease requirements relating to imports from countries outside the European Community of certain live animals and their embryos and gametes (866/2008), the Water Act (264/1961 30§), the Environmental Protection Act (86/2000, 12 §, 25 §, 27 § ), the Act on Water Resources Management (1299/2004) and the Public Order Act (612/2003).
- 1709/2015 Laki vieraslajeista aiheutuvien riskien hallinnasta / Lag om hantering av risker orsakade av främmande arter / Act of Managing the Risk Caused by Alien Species
- 1725/2015 Valtioneuvoston asetus kansallisesti merkittävistä haitallisista vieraslajeista / Statsrådets förordning om invasiva främmande arter av nationell betydelse / Government Decree on Invasive Alien Species of National Concern / Asetuksen perustelumuistio (30.12.2015)
- Jord- och skogsbruksministeriets förordning om skydd för växters sundhet nr 17/08 (PDF, 131 s., artförteckningar som bilaga)
Permits referred to the Article 8 and 9 of the EU Regulation on Invasive Alien Species
Member States are allowed to issue a permit allowing establishments to carry out utilizing the invasive alien species of Union concern under Article 8 or 9 of the IAS Regulation.
The Regional State Administrative Agency for Southern Finland functions as the permit authority under Article 8 or 9 of the IAS Regulation.
Permits issued so far:
- Permit to carry out research
27.3.2017 Helsingin yliopiston Bioteknologian instituutti (Red-eared slider (Trachemys scripta)) (in Finnish)